Saturday, August 18, 2012

I Shot an arrow...Part Deux

It is the heat wave before the cold, time of the year. The neck is swelling. I have a strange urge to piss all over my self and let loose a primordial whistle, followed by a grunt. It is time to fling arrows. Archery season is upon us! As is the Kebo family tradition, everyone stands clear when each person flings the first. Last year, the first fling from the 'master's' bow, due to a faulty 'trigger' release sailed...well lets just say, and leave it at that, that it was a darn good thing that there was substantial acreage in which it could land. This year, we planned ahead. We put arrow target foam blocks, piled two high, in front of a six foot vinyl fence. The 'master' also invested in a new 'trigger' release. Admittedly it has a 'hair' trigger...but caution is the middle name of my down the street chinese neighbor.

First the drawn. No problemo this year. My nine inch incision scar from my little visit to the hospital is fully healed. It is looking 'nice' too! Trigger release, no problemo. At full draw...hmmm, I couldn't recall which 'pin' was the 20 yard pin. I made a mental note to remember, for next year's first fling, which yardage pins are which. No doubt it will be forgotten. Any way I did what any 'master' archer would do in such a situation...being at full draw...I guessed. I had a 1 in 6 chance of being correct. Dang good odds. Well...I was close...Ha!

The trigger was 'flicked', the arrow flew, and...it only went over the foam target by no more than a foot. Should have used the pin just above the one I guessed. Instantaneously there was a 'whack'...no doubt stopped by the fence...er no...nice hole in the fence though. After going around the fence, no arrow was to be found. I looked further. The neighbor's garage is behind the fence, but no arrow in the garage...I guessed that was good, but there was no arrow to be seen...and that was bad. Do you know what arrows cost nowadays? I noticed a walkway behind the garage...it was at least possible that the arrow travelled down it, so I walked down it. Nothing on the ground...where oh where could it have gone? Ah...there the arrow was...stuck half way through the next fence...a wooden one! I pulled it out, and all was well. Next shot, bullseye.

Lesson learned...wooden fences are a better 'buy' than vinyl fences.

Happy archery season to all!

1 comment:

Cedar Street Kid said...

I shot an Arrow into the air
It fell to earth I know not where,
For so swiftly it flew, the sight
Could not follow it in its flight.

I breath'd a Song into the air
It fell to earth, I know not where.
For who has sight so keen and strong
That it can follow the flight of a song?

Long, long afterward in an oak
I found the Arrow still unbroke;
And the Song from begining to end
I found again in the heart of a friend.